This homemade focaccia bread is such a beautiful recipe to make. It’s super easy and requires very few ingredients, and when it comes to few, simple ingredients, the Italians really know how to use them well to create something incredibly special.
The great thing about homemade focaccia bread is that it is very versatile. You can serve it as it is, cut into pieces and served with dips, it can be topped with just about anything, or even used as a pizza base. So why not give it a go?
- 500g 00 flour or bread flour
- 11g dried yeast
- 4g salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Olive oil
- Flaked sea salt
- Mix flour, yeast, and salt together in a large bowl. Slowly add the water a bit at a time, adding only enough so that it comes together as a nice soft dough.
- On a lightly floured bench, knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Oil a bowl with olive oil and place the dough into the bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- In a deep 15×10 roasting dish, drizzle in some olive oil and sprinkle over some flaked salt. Press the dough into the pan, spreading it out into the edges and corners. If it springs back just let it rest for 10 minutes and continue spreading it out. Cover and let rest again for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 230ºc. Once the dough has finished resting, drizzle over some olive oil and using your fingers to dimple the dough so that you create little pools of oil. Sprinkle generously with flaked salt and top with whatever other toppings you please. I just used fresh rosemary but you can add halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, etc.
- Drizzle with a touch more olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden on top. Let cool before cutting.
This is great on its own or served with my Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
If you like this recipe you should check out my other recipes here.