These Slow-Cooked Apple Dumplings with Bourbon Caramel are such a great winter adult treat! They’re soft, fluffy and smothered in a delicious, creamy bourbon flavoured sauce!
These are great to make for a dinner party. Make them just before serving up your main meal and it’ll be ready by the time you and your guests have eaten!
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 40g unsalted butter, chopped, chilled
- 1 large granny smith apple, grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch salt
- 185ml (3/4 cup) golden syrup
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 185ml thickened cream
- 120ml water
- 90ml bourbon of your choice
- large pinch sea salt flakes
- Place the lid on a 3L slow cooker and set it to high while you prepare the dumplings.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar into a bowl. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the center and add the milk, grated apple, and salt and use a flat-bladed butter knife to mix the dough until it comes together. Divide into 12 and gently roll into balls.
- Make the caramel: Combine the golden syrup, brown sugar, butter, cream, and water into a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat. Cook while stirring until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is smooth. Then bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Add the bourbon and stir through.
- Pour half of the caramel into the slow cooker. Gently place the dumplings into the caramel and pour the remaining caramel over the top. Cook, covered for approximately 1 hour- 1 1/2 hours or until the dumplings are cooked through. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
If you love sweets, then you should check out my other sweet treats!