My fiancée is one of the fussiest eaters I know and really doesn’t enjoy eating a lot of veg. Occasionally I’ll find ways of adding veg into our meals (with him knowing of course) so we both still get some of our 5 a day. This recipe is one of the best bolognese sauces I have created to date and goes great with homemade pasta. If you’re a parent with fussy little ones, or even a fussy partner like me, this will please everyone!
- 500g good beef mince
- 500g pork and veal mince
- 1 large carrot, grated or 2 small carrots
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 zucchini (courgette), grated
- 3 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 400g tins of diced tomatoes
- 1 700ml jar passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Small bunch fresh basil
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large heavy based pot over a medium high heat and add about 1 tablespoon of oil and brown off all the mince, making sure you season with some salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the meat out into a bowl and then drain the fat and juices from the pot. Set meat aside.
- Turn heat down to a medium heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and celery first and a little salt and cook till slightly softened. Then add the rest of the vegetables and garlic with the pinch of chilli flakes if you’re using them. Continue to cook the veg until sweated down and softened.
- Return the mince to the pot with the vegetables and then add the tinned tomatoes, passata, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, dried oregano, dried basil, fresh basil, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Mix thoroughly, turn down to low and let it simmer for about 1 -2 hours (the longer the better).
- Taste the sauce and decide whether you need more salt, pepper or sugar. Add the milk and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and with a stick blender just give the sauce a quick blitz to the consistency you desire.
Enjoy with spaghetti, or even use the sauce for a lasagne.