Mexican food is probably one of my favourite foods. I decided one day that I really wanted to make some nice tender Mexican Short Rib Burritos, and so here they are! These burritos are stuffed with boneless, spicy marinated beef rib chunks, rice and sooooo much cheese. Too spicy for ya? Try adding a dollop of sour cream! YUM!
As always, if you like this recipe, why not check out some others! Clicky clicky! ❤
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 6-8 beef short ribs
- 1 Packet of taco seasoning (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 150g chilies in adobo sauce pureed
- Oil for searing
- 1 large bulb of garlic, cut horizontally
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups of melty cheese with flavour (Cheddar, colby etc.)
- 2 cups of Mexican rice (I used a packet of instant rice)
- Sour cream and guacamole for serving (Coriander/ Cilantro is optional)
- In a bowl, combine the taco seasoning, brown sugar, tomato sauce and chillies in adobo sauce and then add the ribs. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºc. In a large heavy based pot, heat some oil over a medium heat and sear the ribs until brown on all sides. Add the garlic, the marinade from the ribs and the wine. Make sure while mixing you scrape the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Add the beef stock. Cover with the pot lid, or with foil and bake in the oven for 2-3 hours, basting the meat occasionally until the meat is tender. Uncover the pot and cook for a further 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate and scoop off any excess fat from the pot and then strain the sauce and squeeze out the garlic through the sieve as well and mix it into the sauce.
- Pull the rib meat off the bone and chop into smaller pieces and place back into the sauce. Turn the oven up to 200ºc.
- Scoop some meat onto a tortilla with a few tablespoons of the Mexican rice and sprinkle some cheese over it. Wrap it up and place it into a greased baking dish and repeat until you are out of meat. If you have any sauce left, spoon some on top of the burritos and sprinkle a little more cheese on top.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, lime wedge and a sprinkle of coriander if you wish (Ew, coriander).