For as long as I can remember chicken schnitzels have been an absolute family favourite in my household. My mother usually makes this with crumb in one as well so if you can buy crumb in one mix in your location then go ahead! Oh, and the left over egg and bread crumbs can be used to make my delicious crumb cakes!
- 2 medium sized chicken breast fillets, cut horizontally to make 4 fillets.
- 4 free range eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumb in one mix (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- oil and butter for frying
- Mix the breadcrumbs together with the crumb in one mix if using, basil, parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken into the egg then coat in the crumb mix. Repeat with remaining chicken. In a large pan over a medium high heat, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil then add chicken to the pan and add a few knobs of butter. Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Once removed from the pan place on a plate with paper towel to drain off excess oil and season with salt. Serve with a wedge of lemon. P.S if you have any crumbs and egg left over don’t chuck it out! Check out this recipe here.